Hillhook Nature Reserve
|Nestling by the nearby Sutton Coldfield Television transmitter (now removed - 2014) and its more modern digital transmitter, the Hillhook Nature Reserve had passed me by all these years until I received an email from my historical advisor, David Wilcox, telling me about a web site detailing this council owned reserve. Boxing Day 2012 and my wife and I went to have a look for ourselves. 2012 will probably go down as the wettest year in living memory and the Reserve reflected this, most of the region was sodden at best, muddy traps at worst. The pathways were molten and cloying and it was hard to find footing in many areas. But thats the weather we have been having. No sooner had we got back home than the skies darkened and the heavy rain returned. But, we both decided that it was worth a return visit come Spring, then Summer; hopefully a lot lot dryer than at present. The date on the Corn Mill plaque reads 1650 - 1970. The local drive takes its name from the Mill Stone, or Netherstone, in picture 2 below. The Reserve is split by Hill Hook road, through the woods on the lake side is a metal gate which takes you through to the road, and opposite a blue/white sign points to the continuation through another similar gate. Be very aware of the traffic here, there is a blind bend to the right, so keep children and pets close at hand.|
|Hill Hook site was declared a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC) in 1990 and became a Local Nature Reserve in 2003. The Hill Hook Local Nature Reserve Advisory Committee was formed in 2003, running events funded mainly by Birmingham City Council and Sutton Coldfield Ward. Funding was also obtained from Sutton Coldfield Municipal Charities, South Staffordshire Water and The Coop. Web site: Hillhook|
This is what their web site has to say (Printed with permission) © Hillhook Nature Reserve
Hill Hook Local Nature Reserve is located in Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, nestling between Hill Hook Road and Clarence Road not far from Sutton Park. This hidden oasis of green is bordered by residential streets and Aston Wood Golf Club.
The large pool originally provided water to Hill Hook Corn Mill, which operated from the 1600's. The mill pool now provides the focal point for the 7.5 hectares Local Nature Reserve, which also comprises an extensive area of woodland and rough grassland providing habitat for a wide variety of trees, plants and animals including, bats, butterflies, moths, birds, fish and small mammals.
The settlement at Hill Hook was probably established between 1530 and 1580. The 17th century date for the establishment of the mill at Hill Hook makes it a relative latecomer to the area. The stream was dammed to form the mill pool, this was necessary as the water supply was poor so near to the source. A lower position downstream would have guaranteed a better supply, but this would have taken it outside the control of Sutton Coldfield. The Hill Hook Mill was the most northerly of Sutton Coldfield mills. The over flow from the mill pool runs into the Footherley Brook which flows north to Shenstone and then east to the River Tame at Tamworth in Staffordshire.
The original mill pool was only half its present size so the millers must have experienced considerable difficulties keeping the mill working with such a small reserve of water during times of drought. To start with the water wheel stood outside the mill and was open to the elements. The mill at Hill Hook was always of modest size and was unlikely to have attracted a sufficient volume of business to earn a living through milling alone. Farming would have provided an additional source of income and subsistence.
Hill Hook Mill operated for many years grinding corn for local residents and farmers. The first record of a miller at Hill Hook was that of Oliver Cartwright in 1671. The next known miller was Edward Dickman who died in 1676. At this time William Bickley took over the mill, he was the first of a long line of Bickley's, who were to occupy the mill for the next 157 years. William Bickley made a will on the 26th October 1683 as he lay dying. It was stated that he was weak in body but of good sound and perfect memory. He described himself as a Wheel Maker. William Bickley died in February 1684. He had four children, William, John, Elizabeth and Frances. On William Bickley's death an inventory of his holding was made, which included one cow, two heifers, two calves, one old mare, two colts and one little store pig. William Bickley's possessions added up to a total of £17-14-6d. John Bickley took over the running of the mill after his father's death. When John Bickley died in July 1706 his inventory included three horses and fifteen sheep. His possessions added up to a total of £18-3-4d.
Simon Bickley was the next miller at Hill Hook. In 1713 he was in trouble with the landlords of the mill. At this time the rent for the mill pool was 2 shillings per year, plus a dish of fish whenever the pool was fished. With so many pools in Sutton the Warden and the Society were surely ensuring themselves of a steady supply of fish throughout the year.
John Bickley was the next miller at Hill Hook, he took over in 1720. John Lunn, the 'Overseer of the Poor' for Hill and Little Sutton, recorded his expenses in 1734 as "looking for the Miller, father of widow Whites bastard child, 3 shillings." In 1724 John Bickley was again in trouble with the Warden and Society and was fined 6d.
The expansion of small farms and cottages with their fields around Hill Hook may have been the stimulus for enlarging the mill pool. In 1767 Simon Bickley was given permission, by the Warden and Society of Sutton to enlarge the mill pool by enclosing part of the Hill Hook field, for which an extra shilling rent was payable. Simon Bickley was fined in 1774 for enclosing a parcel of land adjacent to the mill pool. In the following year he was fined 4d for enclosing another parcel of land by the mill pool. In 1786 the miller at Hill Hook was listed as Thomas Bickley.
Hill Hook Mill - Corn.
The next miller at Hill Hook was Thomas Bickley. His rent was £1-1-0. There is no record of a request to provide a dish of fish for the Warden and the Society. The last reference to provide a dish of fish to the Warden and the Society was in 1742.
In 1797 young John Bickley was riding his horse during a thunderstorm when both were struck by lightning and killed. A plaque commemorating this tragedy is fixed to the front of the flats on Clarence Road, opposite Hill Hook Road.
In 1811 (see map
below) a Survey, Plans and Valuation of the Charity Estates
belonging to the Warden and Society was carried out. This Survey shows
that Thomas Bickley was still the tenant of Hill Hook Mill at the time.
The map shows the mill, house and various outbuildings. It also shows
the line of the original dam with trees growing on the dam. It can be
seen from the records what Thomas Bickley rented other holdings at Hill
In an inventory of 1815 it was recorded that there was a pair of
Derbyshire millstones and a pair of French Burr millstones. The French
Burr millstones were used for grinding wheat and fine grade flour.
Thomas Bickley was again in trouble with the Warden and Society in July 1817, having cut down a number of trees without their permission. He was the last of the Bickley millers and figures prominently in the records of a lengthy dispute with the Warden and Society over the ownership of the mill. The Warden and Society rejected Thomas Bickley's offer of three houses in exchange for the mill. In 1831 the annual rent was raised to £25. In 1834 Thomas Bickley left and his goods were sold off to account for his rent arrears. The list of items sold included: one rick of hay, two horses, one cart, four pairs of bedsteads, four beds, bedclothes, one clock, four tables, one dresser and shelves. It was noted that W. Willoughby received £4 from the sale of Thomas Bickley's goods.
The water wheel is described as being in a "deplorable state of
dilapidation" and the mill house and buildings similarly in "a wretched
state of neglect and decay". Speedy repairs were recommended to prevent
them falling to the ground! The next miller at
Hill Hook was John Hipkinson. He occupied the mill from 1834 to 1837.
In the Census of 1851 John Stevenson was recorded as the miller at Hill Hook and he also farmed 14 acres. He was born in Nottingham and his wife Elizabeth who was 53 years old was born in Weeford in Staffordshire. The Stevenson household also included Isabella Piper their 18 year old niece who was born in Bridgnorth in Staffordshire and another niece Catherine Till who was 23 years old. The two nieces were employed as House Servants. The last member of the Stevenson household was William Earp who was 18 years old and was born in Sutton Coldfield. He was employed as a Servant and labourer. Around this time major alterations had taken place at the mill. This can be seen by the differences between the Corn Rent Map of 1824 and the Enclosure Map of 1851. Further repairs to the mill took place in 1856, 1861 and 1889. The cost of repair in 1861 totalled £65-7-9d. Municipal Charities were now the new owners of the mill.
In 1861 Thomas Marshall was the miller at Hill
Hook, he stayed until 1896. He lived at the mill with his wife and an
employee George Ashford who was also described as a miller. Austin
Pinfold was the next miller at Hill Hook, but he only stayed a short
time. His possessions were put up for sale. A notice was inserted in the
"Sutton and Erdington Times" for the sale on Wednesday the 23rd of March
1898. The list of item for sale included: Farm implements, live and dead
farming stock, household furniture, two excellent fishing punts, with
anchors and oars. Both Thomas Marshall and Austin Pinfold described
themselves as millers and farmers. They also gave the address as Marlpit
Farm, Hill Hook.
George Goldsby only lasted 2 years at the mill and died in 1900. His
wife stayed on until her death at the age of 71 on the 18th December
1905. Both are buried at St Peters Church in Little Aston. Their
daughter Edith married Henry Bracebridge, who was the next tenant at
Hill Hook. The Mill Pool at this time provided the power for the mill
and was used for various activities such as fishing and boating.
On 13th of July 1911, an excursion party from the firm Scribbans Bakers & Confectioners, from Hockley, Birmingham, were spending a day at Hill Hook Mill. Two young men from the party were in a boat, one lost an oar. He leaned over and the boat filled with water and sank. One of the two men managed to swim to the side of the mill pool. The other, Dick Smith, went under the water and was rescued by Joseph Smith. Stephen Bracebridge the miller at the time successfully applied artificial respiration to Dick Smith.
One of the Directors of Scribbans Bakers & Confectioners, Mr Harry Scribbans later bought Little Aston Hall in 1925 with 118 acres of land.
Stephen Bracebridge was born in Little Bromwich & enlisted in 1916 at the age of 35. He was sadly wounded in action and died in Rouen, France in 1918. His wife Edith and his two children, Kathleen and Neville stopped on at the mill at a reduced rent. In his army records he listed his profession as a "caterer" not a miller.
In 1919 the lease for Hill Hook Mill was then sold to a Mr Holt of Blake Street along with Hill Hook Farm. Buy this time the rent was £60 per year. Repair work was carried out in 1921, 1925 & 1926. At this time the mill had ceased to function and these repairs were made only to the fabric of the building.
The local train station at Blake Street was opened in 1884 and was used to bring in children & adults to Hill Hook. By the First World War Hill Hook Mill was already well known to many Sutton and Birmingham people as a popular destination for Sunday School outings etc. Fishing, boating and skating, when the pool was frozen over, would be enjoyed by all. A small amusement park was located on the field overlooking the mill pool. There were swings, roundabouts and an old railway carriage and other buildings where afternoon tea was served to the visitors. The mill pool was also used by fishermen and was well stocked with pike. Mr Joseph Smith looked after the amusements and the fishing in 1925.
This information, and more, can be found here
|Nature Reserve Links|
|Membership Sponsorship Contact Links|