Sutton Coldfield



Sutton Coldfield Architecture

The free grammar school was founded, in the reign of Henry VIII, and endowed with land in the parish, by Bishop Vesey. The salary of the master in from £300 to £400 per annum, and a handsome house was erected for him, chiefly at the expense of the corporation, on the condition of his teaching twenty-four poor boys additionally In reading, writing, and arithmetic. National schools, in which about two hundred and forty children of both sexes are educated and clothed, are supported from funds belonging to the corporation. Almshouses for five aged men and five aged women, with gardens attached, were built and are supported by the corporation. Among various charitable benefactions, four marriage portions, of £24 each, are allowed annually to four poor maidens, natives or long resident.
Originally an RC Church, it was never actually a Guildhall in the sense of the word. In the 1920s, with the building of the current RC church, it became a Parish Social Centre for such as Scouts, Girl Guides, Youth etc. Later years saw it converted to a commercial business. There is very little online about the building

The 7 acre Sutton Coldfield Cemetery was opened in 1881 as an additional burial ground for Holy Trinity Church. As the land was buried upon a further 10 acres of burial land was provided in 1934 when an area next to the original cemetery was opened.  Responsibility for the cemetery was later transferred to Sutton Coldfield Borough Council and then to Birmingham City Council in 1974 on Local Government reorganisation.  The cemetery has narrow tree lined avenues in the old part and is not suitable for vehicles.  This cemetery has no land for new graves and administration is carried out from Sutton New Hall Cemetery.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Bereavement%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092550053&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper


Found written in an old bible belonging to my grandfather.
 
The note says to William Ash from the Corporation School, Sutton Coldfield, Nov 2nd 1851.  (Val Smith)
Little Hay Pumping Station built 1930
Ashfurlong Hall
New Hall Mill

NEW HALL (1200AD built as a hunting lodge by Earl of Warwick) ) is said to have been described as a manor in 1435 by the homage in a court baron at Sutton after Sir Richard Stanhope's death, when, it was stated, he held it of the Earl of Warwick by service of 10s. 10d. a year. (fn. 244) He left a son and heir James, but in 1442 Katherine, widow of William Basset the younger of Fledborough (and sister of Richard Stanhope), (fn. 245) demised New Hall for 21 years to William Deping of Sutton and Richard Lee of Maney. (fn. 246)

'The borough of Sutton Coldfield', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 4: Hemlingford Hundred (1947), pp. 230-245. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42686&strquery=sutton coldfield Date accessed: 09 August 2011. Above links refer to source. Copied with permission.

Thomas Gibbons is said to have bought New Hall in 1552. (fn. 247) In 1610 Thomas and Edward Gibbons conveyed the manor (with a water-mill) to Henry Sacheverell. (fn. 248) He died in 1620, (fn. 249) and New Hall passed to his son Valence Sacheverell (fn. 250) and then to George, eldest son of Valence, who died without issue in 1715. (fn. 251) George Sacheverell bequeathed it to his great-nephew, Charles Chadwick, who assumed the surname of Sacheverell (fn. 252) and who, in 1739, mortgaged his New Hall estate to Francis Horton of Wolverhampton. (fn. 253) On his death, in 1779, New Hall passed to his sister Dorothy who died unmarried in 1784, and bequeathed the manor to Charles Chadwick son of her half-brother John. (fn. 254) His son Hugo Mavesyn Chadwick (who had succeeded him in 1829) was followed in 1854 by his son John de Heley Mavesyn Chadwick, who died in 1897 (fn. 255) and whose mortgagees were holding New Hall in 1892 and 1900, when it was used as a school. (fn. 256) Mrs. Owen was tenant in 1936. (fn. 257)

links are reference sources

Jane Pudsey widow of the last of the Pudseys of Langley Hall with an income of £800 a year, remarried William Willson, a less than weathy builder and architect and student of Sir Christopher Wren. In 1680 he designed and built in stone, Moat Hall at the top of Sutton High Street, with lodge, moat and stone bridge. The moat survived until 1860; the lodge and house still stand. When he died in 1710 Willson was buried, not with his wife within Holy Trinity parish church but due to objections from her family, outside just adjacent to the external wall of the church. When the church was later extended in 1874 he belatedly entered the church. Willsonís Pudsey stepdaughters married Ffolliat and Jesson and Willson designed Four Oaks Hall for the former and her husband. Willson died in 1710, and his son died without issue in 1728 when Moat Hall passed to the Jessons. Joseph Duncumb Warden of Sutton 1760/61 bought Moat House from William Jesson. His daughter Eliza married Shirley Farmer Steele Perkins a barrister in 1793 but died in 1816. Perkins, who was Warden of the town in 1804, was living at Moat Hall at the time of the 1841 census. He died in 1852. In 1891 and 1898 the house was the home of Richard Hurst Sadler a local solicitor. In June1948 when the freehold was offered for sale, the nine bedroom mansion boasted gardens and pasture of over 8 acres running down to the railway line.

http://itol.suttoncoldfieldatoz.com/M.html

See Town Hall
Town School
Former Town Hall and site of Sutton's first cinema, Roselles
See Electric Light
In 1300 a royal grant was made giving the lord of the manor permission to hold a weekly market and annual fair. The building of Holy Trinity Church dates from this time. The church has been altered and extended a number of times since it was first built. The tower was built in the 15th century and the chapels, extended nave, aisles and porch were added 1533 by Bishop Vesey.
See Gate

The origins of Vesey House, now 3 High Street, are obscure but it is reputed to be one of Bishop Vesey's 16th century properties. It was at one time known as Brick House and was occupied in about 1577 by Raphael Harman, a Vesey nephew. It is said that during the Civil War it was the home of Thomas Willoughby the Cromwellian Magistrate and Administrator of the town. In 1677 it was owned by John Addyes by whom it was bequeathed to the Hackett family. In 1828 Ann Bracken was their tenant. The frontage was much altered when the road was turnpiked in 1807 ; the roadway was lowered in 1827 to reduce the steep slope up the hill and steps had to be built up to the entrance. In 1850 the property was divided to become two dwellings, one of which was occupied in 1857 by Agnes Bracken a local artist, author and historian. Further alterations were made , the steps were removed and the unusual bay windows reduced and remodelled when the 20th century shop fronts were installed.

http://stoz.suttoncoldfieldatoz.com/UVW.html


Opposite Trinity Church, this building houses, inside the archway, the grooved archaeology mentioned here
It dates back to the Middle Ages and the stone wall with the arrow marks is behind that white gate.
Obviously a very old building in Mere Green, details of which I don't have as yet

The first Royal Hotel in Sutton Coldfield was the building adjacent to the present Town Hall which now houses local authority offices. This was once a rather grand building erected in 1865 as a purpose built hotel to serve the large numbers of visitors expected to be attracted to the town by the new 1862 railway. It was designed by Edwin Holmes in the Gothic Revival style and built by T Elvins of Birmingham. If the frontage seems very plain it is probably because the present frontage was originally the rear elevation, the original frontage facing down the hill to the railway station. The hotel was soon in financial difficulties and was closed. Although refinanced and reopened in 1869 it never really achieved the status that its prominent position suggested. On the night of the 1881 census the hotel housed nine guests and twelve staff. In 1895 Lt Colonel Wilkinson bought the empty hotel building with over five acres of land and presented it to a charitable organisation for use as a sanatorium for white collar workers and teachers. The venture was not successful and in 1902 the Charities Commission sold the property to the Sutton Corporation for use as a Town Hall and Council offices.

The demise of the original Royal Hotel enabled the name to be recycled ; the second Royal Hotel is the building of that name standing at 25/27 High Street. It has been suggested that this site was occupied in the 17th century by the Grosvenor family; in particular by Gawen Grosvenor who married Dorothy Pudsey of Langley in 1589 and later by Leicester Grosvenor in whose hands it was valued at £58 a year in 1671. If so the property was rebuilt in the Georgian style in the mid 18th century with five bays and a portico. Occupiers included Homer and Willoughby and from about 1850 William Morris Grundy a currier and tanner who was also a photographic pioneeer. Grundy is referred to in the Holbeche Diary; he died in 1859 leaving an estate worth £25000. Soon afterwards the house was converted to a hotel. It was probably originally named 'The Bear'. In 1870 it became Giles Hotel, before 1881 it became the 'Swan Hotel' and by 1901 had become the 'Royal Hotel'The nine bay extension to the southside is late 19th century, originally the 'Assembly Rooms'. The whole building is Grade 2 listed.

http://mtor.suttoncoldfieldatoz.com/R.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPTxz142PWw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nq5gryPZlE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAVN5SffqE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbVeSmhDl5w&feature=related

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/suttoncoldfield/index.php 

http://heritage.elettra.co.uk/artdeco/profile.php?building=empire

http://www.theoldtown.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Coldfield

http://www.suttoncoldfieldtowncentre.co.uk/town-history/

'The Old Photographs of Sutton Coldfield' Compiled by Marion Baxter

http://www.greyhoundderby.com/Closed%20Courses%20New.html

http://www.suco.co.uk/      http://www.tigersunited.com/history/p-kmiles.asp Ken Miles     http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20040512/ai_n12788010 Lee Vale-Onslow

http://www.newhallmill.org.uk/newhall.htm - Friends of New Hall Mill     http://www.suttoncoldfieldobserver.co.uk/index.jsp Sutton Coldfield Observer

http://icsuttoncoldfield.icnetwork.co.uk/ - Sutton Coldfield News     http://www.thisissuttoncoldfield.co.uk/

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42686&strquery=sutton%20coldfield#s9