The Park's Pools

Bracebridge Pool

Blackroot Pool was built in the 18th century with the primary aim of powering a watermill. The lease which allowed the pool to be constructed was granted by the Sutton Corporation in 1757 for 2 shillings (0.10), well below what appears to have been the 'market rate'. However, the lessees were the Warden and his nephew. The mill was initially used for leather dressing, but later became a water-powered saw mill. The modern saw mill is used to make gates, fences and other timber products from timber produced within Sutton Park. The pool is approximately 12 acres in size.


Bracebridge Pool, is one of the largest in the park. The views as you approach this pool are also amongst the finest in Sutton Park. The pool takes its name from Sir Ralph Bracebridge. Bracebridge obtained a life lease on the Chase of Sutton Coldfield in 1419 and made the pool to provide a good supply of bream for his family and friends. The Boat House Restaurant can be found at the edge of Bracebridge Pool. The pool is approximately 16 acres in size.  The manufacture of blades, gun barrels, spades and spade handles as well as the grinding of knives, bayonets and axes, mainly at mills constructed at pools in Sutton Park and on the banks of Ebrook, became an important contributor to the town's economy in the 17th century. The blade mill at Bracebridge Pool fell out of use by 1678 and was destroyed, however, it was reconstructed by 1729.

December 16th 2014


This runs underneath the Restaurant


Rail next to Bracebridge Pool



Historic-Newspapers.co.uk 


Domestic & Commercial Premises